"A PICTURESQUE OBJECT", the story of Belmont Castle, Grays
|Notes and References|
|These are the
footnotes and references from an article about Belmont
Castle that can be found here.
1. Catty, Meryl. Notes on the Button family (Thurrock Museum).
2. Button Wills Essex Record Office Nos. 145 BR 13; 189 BR 15; 164 BR 20; 228 BR 21.
3. Gentleman's MagazineVol.38, pg.142.Marchl768.
4. Deeds of Belmont Castle, E.R.O.D/DU218/21-26.
5. Chapman J. and Andre P. A map of the County of Essex pub. 1777 (Thurrock Museum copy).
6. For a brief account see Hales-Tooke J. The Errington Affair. Essex Review vol. 64, p 96 - 99.
7. Of the pair of aquatints engraved by J. Raffield in 1796 and 1797, Thurrock Museum has only the view from the south-west. That from the north-west is reproduced in Essex Homes 1066-1850. E.R.O. Publication no.30 (2nd edn.1965). The British Museum has both (Top. XIII 48b. Nos. 20 a. and b).
8. Tithe Award 1840 (Microfilm Grays Library).
9. Palin,Rev.W. More about Stiftord and its Neighbourhood l872. pg.36.
10. Grays Library copies of O.S.map consulted.
11. Colvin, H.M. Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 (1978).
12. 'Hughson, D. (pseud.) Circuit of London (Vol.6 of London, being an accurate history and description of the British metropolis and the neighbourhood to thirty miles extent, from an actual perambulation.) c. 1809.
13. Grays and Tilbury Gazette 6/5/33, pg 5.
14. Shiner papers, Thurrock Museum.
15. Wright, T. History of Essex 1836.
16. Census returns 1841 to 1881. (Microfilm Grays Library).
17. Brooks, H.E. William Palmer and his school 1928, pg. 153.
18. Diehl, Alice M. The True Story of my Life 1908.
19. Coller, D.W. The Peoples History of Essex 1861. pg. 358.
20. Post Office and Kelly's Directories. Grays Library.
21. Grays and Tilbury Gazette. (Microfilm, Grays Library).
22. Ingram, Ruby. Notes on Belmont Castle, Purfleet, etc. Grays Library. T.728 p.
23. Biggs, C.H.W. Notes on Grays 1912. Reprinted from Contractors' Record and Municipal Engineering. (Thurrock Museum).
24. (missing in published version) p. 40
25. Anon. Typed notes from various sources. Grays Library T.728 p.
26. Grays and Tilbury Gazette 30/12/50 pg. 8, Grays Library.
Return to top