Thurrock Art Society
Thurrock Community Information
- Thurrock Art Society was founded in 1970 and is a very busy and friendly society. Meetings are held at the Thurrock Adult Community College, Richmond Road, Grays, on Friday evenings during term time, from 7.00p.m.- 9.00p.m. Members spend their evenings painting, drawing or socialising.
- There is a yearly subscription which is currently £25.00. The subscription is reviewed annually, and is applicable to all members other than honorary members. Honorary membership is given to those who have reached the age of 85, or is awarded by the society to a member considered to have given exemplary service.
- The Society has an elected Committee of 8 members, comprising Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Registrar, Librarian, Publicity Officer and Exhibition Secretary.
- A yearly programme of events is arranged by the Committee, including coach outings to art exhibitions, and art and craft fairs, and demonstrations and Workshops by professional artists. Members of other Art Societies and Thurrock Arts Council are welcome to attend the evening demonstrations.
- The Society normally holds three exhibitions a year in the "Gallery" at the Thameside Complex, Orsett Road, Grays. Paintings are for sale and the entrance is free.
- Thurrock Art Society is a member of the Visual Arts Sub-Committee of Thurrock Arts Council to whom it is affiliated and from whom it gains considerable support.
- Thurrock Art Society is also affiliated to the SAA (Society of All Artists), an umbrella organisation for all artists whether amateur, semi-professional or professional. The society purchases insurance through the SAA for third party cover at meetings and exhibitions. The SAA also provides a monthly magazine and a shopping catalogue of art equipment at discounted prices.
- The Society welcomes new members of all abilities. Maximum number is limited to approximately 50 by the accommodation available at the Thurrock Adult Community College but interested persons are able to put their names on a waiting list if there is no space available. This is reviewed regularly and new members appointed when vacancies arise. Minimum age of membership is 18.
For further information about the society, and an application form for membership, please contact the Secretary:
Mrs Sylvia Maney - Telephone: 07572 942350 - Email firstname.lastname@example.org